WELCOME TO MUSIC AT SHS!
Our main aim is to provide musical activities and experiences of the highest standard that are inclusive to all students and from which they can all benefit and learn.
The department is housed in a purpose built Performing Arts block, with two generous-sized class rooms.
The rationale behind this project is to strip away some of the complexities and inconsistencies surrounding transition/transfer from Year 6–Year 7. It uses music to bridge the transition divide, with a focus on developing then building upon the instrumental/ vocal skills and experiences of the students. The emphasis is on encouraging and enthusing students to collaborate practically to create a piece of music based on a song that should be familiar to them from their primary schools.
• Find Your Voice! - A practical and hands-on approach to vocal harmony work and the use of technology and recording techniques.
• The Groove project! - Learning the process of creating a large group composition.
• Learning an instrument! - This year, some of our Y7 classes have had the opportunuity to learn the trumpet, in association with the Lincs Music Service.
• Non-Western Music! - An opportunity to learn about and play music from different parts of the world.
• Band Instrumental Work! - Learning to play keyboard, guitar, bass guitar, drums, and then re-creating a classic pop song.
• the Groove Project 2! - Learning the process of creating a large group composition.
Find Your Voice - Further vocal harmony work, perhaps with the added use of beat-boxing!
• Year 9
• In At The Deep End! - Re-creating your own version of one of your favourite songs.
• Aural Learning! - Analysing and learning how to play the different elements from a classic pop song.
• Composing! - Writing your own pop song.